Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Sealed with a kiss.

One my most favorite parts of the Chilean culture is the beso or kiss. People here kiss each other when they meet, when they greet, and when they say goodbye. Never on the lips, always on the cheek. And unlike other cultures, it is common practice here to kiss the person’s left cheek only, not lay one on each cheek. Of course, this is while the person is simultaneously doing the same to you. Some will actually kiss your cheek while others will touch cheeks and air kiss. Some will go all out and grab your face while planting one on you. I guess it all depends on the person and maybe how intimate you want to be.

As an American, my natural instinct is to offer my hand as a form of greeting or meeting someone and give them a firm handshake. For the first few weeks I was here, I instinctively did such an act, which always resulted in a face-hand tug-of-war. I would hold out my hand, while the other person would lean in for the kiss. Then, I would draw back my hand and lean in for the kiss, while the other person would draw back their face and extend their hand. Some people gave me weird looks, but most just chalked it up to me being a gringa. Either way, it was a bit awkward and slightly embarrassing on my part. But after all those years of practice, it’s a tough habit to break. Plus, I always prided myself on having a firm, solid handshake, at least for a girl.

I knew I was becoming more chilena when I stopped holding out my hand, and without thinking would kiss someone. Sure, it may get annoying at those times when you just want to leave someplace, yet have to go around to kiss and say good-bye to each and every person before you can depart; but on the whole, I think it’s a lovely gesture. It’s personal and intimate. It provides more of a sense of welcoming and inclusiveness that you may not find with Americans. It immediately establishes a personal connection among people, and among strangers at that. Since I am an affectionate person, I feel it quite suits my personality.

It also serves as a form of signing off when sending messages and the like. People always sign off with “besos” or x’s. I love when someone says, “un beso,” because you give kisses to everyone, but for some reason, the idea of just a single kiss gives more of a special, more intimate vibe.

Beware friends and family, I am determined to bring this back with me upon my return to the States. Or at the very least, will have become so accustomed to the beso, that I will instinctively do that instead of handshakes. Either way, don’t be scared, just embrace it.


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment